The latter part of 2023 saw the conference and awards season come to the fore and I was honoured to speak at both the Propertymark Regional conference in Sussex and The Negotiator Conference at the Grosvenor House in London.
I had also been a judge for The Negotiator Awards and attended the Gala Awards night at the end of November (more about this in a moment!).
I was also a judge for the Propertymark Qualifications Awards and attended the annual prize giving which took place at West Ham’s London Stadium in December.
At the Propertymark conference, which was held at Brighton FC’s ground, I spoke on how treating compliance as a business enabler rather than a business restrainer can help improve performance and profitability.
At The Negotiator conference I spoke about my ten Ps of business success and how businesses would benefit from reviewing them as part of their plans for the year ahead. A show of hands revealed that only around 10% of the audience had a written business plan in place for 2024. Good news for the other 90% in my opinion!
The EA Masters conference and awards had also taken place in October and I was delighted that Integra Property Services were rated as Exceptional for the seventh consecutive year (that means within the top 5% of suppliers to the property industry as voted for by clients and customers).
The Negotiator Awards are one of the major industry events of the year and around 900 people attended the black tie event. It was great to catch up and enjoy the company of so many friends from across the industry but the best was saved until near the end.
The last award of the evening is always The Lifetime Achievement Award and, as everyone sat there in anticipation of who the recipient was to be this year, Grant Leonard from The Negotiator began to tell the audience a little of the background and reasons for this year’s honour.
I suddenly realised that he was talking about me!
I must admit to having a lump in the throat and a tear in my eye as I went up to receive the award and say a few, unplanned and unscripted, words of thanks to the gathering of my peers who were in attendance.
I have won a number of awards and recognition during my career but this was, undoubtedly, the most significant and I remain both proud, but also very humbled, at being chosen as the recipient.
My charitable activities were certainly a contributing factor to receiving the award and 2023 saw me complete one million steps in 84 days for Diabetes UK. I also continued my work as Chair of the Members at the QED Educational Trust that oversees four Academies in Hillingdon and with Agents Together. I am currently in discussions about another property industry charity role but we will have to see what develops.
I often wonder whether Lifetime Achievement awards are a subliminal message to say – “you’re now past your sell by date and it’s time to hang up your boots” but, that is certainly not the case and I have a range of activities planned for the year ahead.
On the conference front, I am scheduled to be speaking at the 2024 Propertymark Regional Conferences in Essex (25th January), in the West Midlands (18th April), South East (10th October), Sussex (17th October) and Surrey (21st November).
I am also running a number of compliance training sessions for Propertymark throughout the year on Money Laundering Regulations, Consumer Protection Regulations and GDPR.
All of my own open training courses are scheduled for 2024 and are booking here:
Six sales skills excellence modules and four compliance modules – something for everyone!
In January I am carrying out training session for individual businesses and I am always happy to discuss and provide you with a tailored solution.
In February I embark on a significant Lettings Health Check project for a major national operator. I undertook a similar audit and review of their AML compliance last year and was delighted to have the opportunity to get under the bonnet of their lettings and management business subsequently.
In recent weeks and currently, I am working with several clients on their business plans for 2024 and I continue to provide content, press release and PR services to a number of clients in the agency and proptech and fintech sectors.
Recently the sale of OnTheMarket to global giant CoStar has created an interesting scenario with their stated aim to grow market share in the portal market and break the domiance of Rightmove in the sector. The OnTheMarket Software business (formerly Glanty/teclet where I was an NED) is hopefully a key ingredient in the way forward and I look forward to continuing to work with them in the weeks and months ahead.
Finally, it seems incredible that, as I write this, already around 2% of 2024 is behind us – time moves quickly and so, if you are looking for a “lifetime” of experience to help your business, please pick up the phone or drop me a line and let’s discuss how I can assist.
Michael S Day MBA FRICS FNAEA FARLA